John Deere TPC Sawgrass Volunteer Winners Announced
John Deere has named the greenskeepers who have won the chance to visit the TPC Sawgrass venue in Florida for the 2016 Players Championship.
20 February 2016 | 0
Once again five BIGGA members from Great Britain and a GCSAI member from Ireland will be enjoying the opportunity of a lifetime when they join the golf course maintenance team at the legendary TPC Sawgrass venue in Florida for the 2016 Players Championship, courtesy of John Deere.
The greenkeepers won their place on the trip by registering their interest on the respective association websites, before recording a short video about themselves and their career aspirations. The winners then made it through their regional interviews, conducted by a panel of representatives from BIGGA/GCSAI and John Deere.
The 2016 Players Championship on the PGA Tour – the unofficial ‘fifth major’ – takes place in May. American Rickie Fowler won in 2015 following the greatest last round finish in the 34-year history of the tournament, carding birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie for a place in the final play-off.
The winning delegation for 2016 includes:
- Pete Corrick, assistant greenkeeper, Remedy Oak Golf Club, Wimborne, Dorset
- Graeme Davidson, first assistant greenkeeper, Murrayfield Golf Club, Edinburgh
- Stuart Imeson – head greenkeeper, Dunstanburgh Castle Golf Course, Embleton, Northumberland
- Nicholas Roberts – deputy course manager, South Essex Golf & Country Club, Brentwood
- Chris Sharp – course manager, Hampstead Golf Club, London
- Lenny O’Callaghan, assistant greenkeeper, Westmanstown Golf Club, Dublin
Describing the experience one of last year’s winners, David Perdisatt of Naas Golf Club in Co Kildare, said “A life changing experience is the only way I could describe the 12 days away. I knew it was going to be special, but this has surpassed anything I expected,”