The best office plants for hybrid workers
26 August 2021 | 0
When the way we work changed dramatically last year, there was a significant uptick in the sale of household plants. With many businesses now looking at employing a hybrid work model wherein employees split their time between home and the office, consumers will need low-maintenance office plants that don’t require constant care and attention.
Biophilic design, or bringing the outdoors indoors, is an effective way to increase performance and happiness. Incorporating biophilic design into your home office is one of the best ways to help encourage wellbeing and stress reduction. Indoor plants essentially do the opposite of what we do when we breathe: release oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide. This freshens up the air and eliminates harmful toxins throughout your office space.
Caring for office plants may prove difficult under the new mode of working, which is why Office Furniture Online has recommended several indoor plants suitable for hybrid workers.
- English Ivy is a beautiful plant that can help create a real biophilic feel, thanks to its great ability to climb. All you need to do is plant it in a shady area with organically rich soil. Then, water them twice a week, making sure the top inch of the soil is dry before watering.
- Dracaena is one of the easiest to grow indoor plants thanks to its striking appearance and ease of care. These plants don’t do well in direct sunlight so you can keep them in filtered indoor light, like you often get in an office. They also need a lot less water than most indoor plants – simply mist the soil every two weeks and always allow the top soil to dry out before watering.
- Cacti are another great choice, as their colour and shape variations help them fit many different tastes and styles. Cacti can survive in both sun and artificial light, and water between every one and two weeks, but when the soil is very dry.
- Peace Lilies are beautiful plants that are really popular in offices because they are excellent at cleaning the air of the room they are in. Peace lilies enjoy medium to low light and need to be watered once a week.
- Snake plants are another easy care yet striking looking plant, making it the perfect office decoration. During colder months, you only need to water it once a month or once dried out, and a little bit more often during summer. It can also thrive in all different kinds of light – even low light areas.
- ZZ plants can survive well in fluorescent light, making it perfect for office environments. It can also thrive even after missing a few watering, so makes the perfect indoor plant for busy people and those new to plant care.
“Office plants are great for decorating your space and making employees feel more relaxed and at ease,” said Mark Taylor, managing director of Office Furniture Online. “They also help with productivity, so are a worthwhile investment.
“Be sure to choose the right kind of plants for your office space, as well. Do you have lots of natural light, or do you need to consider plants that work well in fluorescent light? Do you have enough space for plants that grow quickly? Do you have an office dog that the plants may be toxic to? These are all things to consider when choosing your perfect office plant.”