Training the new generation
Donal Kearney reports on how the Irish Institute of Sports Surfaces continues to expand it's offering in both training and consultancy services in 2014
17 September 2014 | 0
Based in Morton Stadium, Santry, Dublin 9 since 2009 the Irish Institute of Sports Surfaces (IISS) has continued to grow and strengthen its ability to provide increased services and advice from management level to advising newcomers to the industry. It continues to help and assist facilities and clubs from local authorities, GAA, rugby and soccer clubs. Our consultancy services ensure clients receive a return on their investment from our services to ensure a satisfactory outcome.
We offer a new management software programme for golf course superintendants and leisure facility managers. It is called Ground2Control management system. Ground2Control automatically analyses your daily inputs and gives you the insight to develop the most efficient maintenance strategies, measure performance, minimise waste, maximise resources and improve communication across your organisation.
The Institute every spring continues to offer opportunities to train in the USA on PGA standard tournament golf courses. This opportunity provides a chance for those new to the industry to experience a hands on approach to maintaining a high end golf course.
The Institute continues to offer more land based training with Fetac and Lantra awards. A special purpose certificate award in sports surfaces is now available for greenkeepers and grounds staff, along with health & safety and machinery maintenance and the pesticide application Fetac award which has become mandatory for professionals to hold by EU Law.
The IISS offers a wide range of training courses and consultancy services. These include:
Accredited Training – High Learner Satisfaction
- Sportsturf maintenance & management
- Pesticide handling & application
- Safe use of machinery & small engines
- Career preparation
- Health & safety
Consultancy Services – Many Successful Projects and Workplaces
- All sports surfaces natural & synthetic ‘Astro’
- Golf courses- football – athletics – hockey – tennis – horse racing
- New constructions project management
- Soil testing and maintenance plans solving surface
- Engineering – structural & civil
- Health & safety management for new and existing sites and workplaces
Some clients services in Ireland include:
- Local authorities in Cork, Dublin, Derry, Armagh and Galway
- GAA County Boards Meath, Cavan, Mayo, Louth and Roscommon
- FAI Football Association of Ireland League of Ireland
- Connacht & Leinster Rugby
- IFA Irish Footbal Association
- University College Dublin
- Irish Prison Service
- Irish Defence Forces
For further details on the services offered by the Institute of Sports Surfaces visit its website www.irishsportsurf.ie
This article originally appeared in print in the GLAS Showguide, published on 24 July 2014