Making cities greener and healthier
The International Green City Conference to be held at the Congress Centre, Expo 2016 Antalya, Turkey on 27 September 2016.
31 August 2016
The use of ‘living green’ as a vital component of city development will be demonstrated at the International Association of Horticultural Producers (AIPH) International Green City Conference to be held at the Congress Centre, Expo 2016 Antalya, Turkey on 27 September 2016.
The Conference will be sponsored by the AIPH-approved A1 International Horticultural Exhibition, Expo 2016 Antalya, and will fit perfectly with the Expo theme of ‘Flowers and Children – A Green Life for Future Generations’.
Speakers from Turkey and around the world will illustrate how Green Cities can become a reality and how this will benefit the lives of citizens now and in the future. Speakers will include:
• Prof. Dr. Veli Ortacesme from Akdeniz University (Turkey) on how Antalya and other Turkish cities are making themselves greener.
• Nilufer Danis from Lotus Design Studio (UK) on techniques for city improvement and the concept behind the AIPH ‘Green Oasis’ garden at the Expo.
• Kelvin Kan from AgFacaDesign Architects (Singapore) on the Biophilic City concept and the greening of Singapore.
• Richard Louv (USA), author of ‘LAST CHILD IN THE WOODS: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder’ on the importance of urban greening to the development of children.
• Dr. Xie Zhengyi, Chairman of Yangzhou People’s Congress (China) on the development of green area that work for the citizens of Yangzhou.
• Fayqa Abdulla Askanani from Qatar on greening Qatar
• Richard Daigneault and Bob Lewis from Communities in Bloom – International Challenge (Canada) on getting involved in this international city greening contest.
Commenting on the event Karen Tambayong, Chair of the AIPH Green City Committee says: “There is now clear evidence that we need greener cities to ensure the next generation are physically, mentally and spiritually healthy, and able to keep a healthy sustainable environment. This conference addresses this vital issue and I hope that many city authorities and decision makers recognise the urgency of creating more green spaces in all.”
Firat Isik, Secretary General of Expo 2016 Antalya comments: “We are all responsible for the world we hand over to future generations. This responsibility underpins the theme of Expo 2016 Antalya and I am delighted to be hosting this prestigious international conference so we can play our part in helping all the cities of the world recognise the importance of city greening and really make it happen.”