Glee Unveils Key Trends from 2015 Show
Glee has announced its predictions for the key trends set to hit the horticulture industry in 2016
17 September 2015
Covering ten different aspects of the gardening interests – from garden design, landscaping and planting to outdoor living, eating and garden gadgets – the forecasts use a new website technology that taps into the views of the thousands of retail experts using Glee’s website.
The full report can be accessed here but below is a summary of each of the ten key trends that have been highlighted from Glee 2015.
THE GLEE 2016 GARDEN & LEISURE TREND REPORTS – A SUMMARY:
1) THE TOP FIVE GARDEN CARE PRODUCTS SET TO MAKE GARDENING EASY IN 2016
- Burgon & Ball – Poc-kit – keep all your valuables and essentials to hand and safe, while you garden in comfort.
- Darlac – Telescopic Fruit Picker – never over-reach again with this sturdy and extendable picker.
- Fiskars – PowerGear™ Lopper – part of the PowerGear™ range of cutting products, these Loppers afford three times more cutting power thanks to the patented gear mechanism.
- Baksaver Barrows – Baksaver Barrow – these high quality, durable wheelbarrows can be used with very little effort, where you don’t need to lift to push or to tip.
- Rellma Industry Co., Ltd. – 14-1/3′ Grass Shears – the two blades are individually developed to provide the best possible cut. The ergonomic handle allows for 360° degree cutting.
2) THE TOP FIVE GARDEN DESIGN TRENDS IN 2016
- VERTICAL PLANTING – WATEX International Co. Ltd – Expandable Green Wall – the epitome of Chinese design, this Expandable Green Wall, with built-in Irrigation system, can transform any vertical space into an eye-catching green wall.
- UPCYCLED ORNAMENTATION – Think Outside – EE-I-EE-I-O Planters– bringing its unique style of design all the way from Australia, the EE-I-EE-I-O planter range uses only re- and up-cycled materials to create its Clarence the Cow, Bruce the Bull planter, Billy the Goat planter and the Hound Dog planters.
- DUTCH DESIGN BRINGS CLEAN LINES – IQbana – Vasaluce – made from Expanded PolyPropylene (EPP), the Vasaluce planter offers sleek lines and contemporary design alongside wider benefits such as being extremely strong, shockproof, frost resistant and superlight.
- FUNCTIONAL GARDEN RETREATS – Zest 4 Leisure – Dorset Arbour – already an award-winning product, the Dorset Arbour takes garden retreats to the next level with handy in-built storage.
- COLOUR THROUGH NATURAL STONE – Deco-Pak – Decorative Aggregates – from paths to decorative pot topping, decorative aggregates can take any garden from drab to fab!
3) THE TOP FIVE FOOD & CATERING TRENDS IN 2016
- A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE – Bon Bon (Wholesale) – Luxury Hand-Packed Confectionery– this new collection is the sweet equivalent of a time machine. Bringing back old school favourites such as Chocolate Lime Parcels and Candy Necklaces, each bag of sweets is hand packed to extend the nostalgic edge.
- THE TASTE OF AMERICA – BBQ Gourmet Ltd – BBQ Rubs – the English summer may pass in the blink of an eye but that doesn’t stop us from being a nation of barbecue lovers. This unique range of championship-winning barbecue rubs from the United States is perfect for taking your barbecue from bland to lip lickingly good.
- TAKING FLAVOUR COMBINATIONS TO THE NEXT LEVEL – Premium Snack Company (Chaucer Foods) – Nothing But – can’t decide between sweet and savoury, nutritious or tasty? Why not have all four. Packed in handy tuck bags, Nothing But is the UK’s first ever freeze-dried fruit and vegetable snack that counts as one of your five a day.
- PIES MADE THE WAY MOTHER USED TO – Findlater’s Fine Foods – Findlater’s Handmade Pies – this award-winning company’s first foray into pies will provide the perfect comfort food. Featuring a variety of fillings in a light puff pastry, each pie is handmade with love.
- HOMEBREW – Victors Drinks – Apple Cider Making Kit – make your very own delicious Apple Cider from the comfort of your own home. Just add the supplied sachet of yeast and fill with warm water. Wait 48 hours, tap out over ice and let the good times roll.
4) THE TOP FIVE PLANTS TRENDS IN 2016
- POPSTAR INSPIRATION – Javado – Hydrangea Music Collection – this entire collection of hydrangeas draws inspiration from the music scene, with each gorgeous bloom named after a popstar or music style such as the Blue Boogiewoogie and Soft Pink Salsa.
- EVOKING TROPICAL NIGHTS – Bristol Tropical Centre – Trachycarpus Fortunei – Chusan palm, windmill palm – perfect for sub-tropical plant lovers, this latest variety is ideal for the English weather thanks to its ability to withstand temperatures of -15°C, meaning you can reminisce about your summer holiday even in the depths of winter.
- SUNSETS COME ALIVE – Anglo Aquatic Plant – Mini-mini-Nymphaea Wanvisa 1 – when it was first introduced in 2010, this beautiful waterlily was voted ‘Best New Waterlily’ by the International Waterlily and Water Gardening Society. Bred in Thailand, the flowers have a variegation that has never been seen before in a hardy waterlily and each flower is unique in its pattern. Anglo Aquatic Plants is proud to introduce the new ‘mini’ variety – perfect for small and large ponds alike.
- CONTRASTING COLOURS DELIVER MAXIMUM IMPACT – Chamberlain Nurseries – Pansy ‘Fields of Gold’ – the gardener’s favourite, these pansies come in a mix of purple, yellow and burnt orange to provide a carpet of stunning colour in spring.
- STUNNING FLORAL DISPLAYS FOR THE MASSES – Kindergarden Plants – EasyContainer Grown On – the easy way to add a splash of colour, or when space is at a premium, this pre-planted container is perfect for gardeners of all abilities.
5) THE TOP FIVE LANDSCAPING TRENDS IN 2016
- DECKING GOES ‘GREEN’ – Fitrite Fencing & Decking – Evolution deck boards – the revolutionary alternative to wood that doesn’t cost the earth. Evolution deck boards are made from a unique blend of recycled hardwood and polymer, yet look and feel just like real wood.
- VERTICAL PLANTING – WATEX international co, ltd – Expandable Green Wall Kit – the epitome of Chinese design, the Expandable Green Wall, with built-in Irrigation system, can transform any vertical space into an eye-catching green wall.
- GARDEN STRUCTURES GO VINTAGE ROMANTIC – Black Country Metal Works – Acropolis Pavilion– if Pride & Prejudice was a garden structure it would be the Acropolis Pavilion. Featuring a stunning lace domed top and an ‘ice sage’ painted finish, this is the perfect addition to any garden where romance takes centre stage.
- GARDENING DONE YOUR WAY – Deco-Pak – Hard landscaping – Deco-Pak makes hard landscaping easy. From railway sleepers to rockery stones, the range can help to transform even the most neglected gardens.
- GRAVEL GOES INNOVATIVE – CES Quarry Products – RockinColour™ Innovative Stone range – a real innovation in hard landscaping, the RockinColour™ range offers a truly multi-functional product.From decorative landscaping and surface finishing to product development it can be used to bring an exceptional amount of colour and texture to any project. Six new colours will be launched at Glee.
6) THE TOP FIVE CONTEMPORARY PRODUCT TRENDS IN 2016
- BRITISH MADE – Hum Partnership – Absolutely Fabulous Hum Flowerpots – fresh off the British production line, Hum Flowerpots are brand new to the UK market, and are available in a range of bright patterns and colours. Best of all, these funky planters have been designed for outdoor use and are made from frost-proof and fade-resistant plastic.
- HANG PLANTS WITH A POCKET & HOOK – Blooming Walls Ltd – The Green Pockets® Wall Planter – representing a new generation of hanging plant containers, each Green Pocket is made from high-quality fabric, perfect for both house and garden plants. Simply hang and enjoy!
- STRIPES GO RUSTIC – Cadix – Capi Row – this new range of lightweight planters comes in a range of sizes and shapes, each with a unique rustic stripe pattern, and yet they look perfectly at home in both contemporary and traditional garden spaces.
- TRADITIONAL CLAY MEETS MODERN TECHNOLOGY – Stewarts Limited – Aztec Planter Range – these may look like traditional clay planters but in fact they are made from lightweight and durable material, with shatter and frost resistant properties.
- CHARCOAL & SLEEK LINES – Meadow View Stone Limited – Chaucer Charcoal Paving Slab – a true contemporary design, this paving slab is designed to offer sleek lines and dark charcoal colouring.
7) THE TOP FIVE OUTDOOR LIVING TRENDS IN 2016
- HUNG SEATING – Hang-in-out – Cocoon – the new hangout chill-out space, the Cocoon represents the latest concept in relaxing. It’s a swing chair, a hammock, and a hanging garden seat in one.
- EASTERN PROMISE – Masters Outdoor Leisure – The MayFair Gazebo – this beautiful gazebo is reminiscent of Bedouin tents, with its sweeping curtains and decorative roof, and provides the perfect backdrop for al fresco dining.
- INSPIRED BY WORLD TRAVEL – Hammockology – Parachute Hammock – tested in all climates around the world since 1996, the parachute hammock was made by travellers for travellers. An ideal protection from insects and small reptiles, it can even replace your tent, and is lightweight, strong, foldable, rot-resistant and quick to dry.
- GARDEN SOFAS – Trans-continental – CoSi – this contemporary styled, weatherproof sofa collection features world-leading fabric technology – Nautilex – meaning each product in the range looks and feels like a normal sofa, but is both waterproof and UV resistant.
- EMPOWERMENT THROUGH GROWING YOUR OWN – Noocity – Urban Ecology Grow Bed – this self-watering gardening system is designed to empower people to grow their own food at home – embodying Noocity’s aim of creating a more aware and autonomous society by enabling people to reorganise their urban landscape and their relationship with food and life.
8) THE TOP FIVE OUTDOOR KITCHEN PRODUCTS FOR 2016
- Premier Decorations – Fontana Forni® Outdoor Ovens – this exclusive range of outdoor ovens is perfect for all types of outdoor cooking, including pizza, bread, barbecues and roasts.
- La Hacienda – Bakerstone Oven Box – a Glee New Product winner in 2014, the Bakerstone Oven Box revolutionises al fresco pizza cooking. Simply place onto your existing gas barbecue, and delicious homemade pizzas can be yours in just two minutes.
- Uuni – Uuni 2 – a super-slick outdoor oven that can reach temperatures of 450°C, and can cook pizzas in under two minutes. The size of a carry-on suitcase, Uuni runs on fire and sustainable, low-cost wood-pellets, creating food with a delicious flavour. Uuni is not just for pizza either and is great for meat, roast veggies, fish, desserts and more.
- La Hacienda – Savannah Lifestyle – the Savannah’s intricately patterned flue instantly attracts the eye, making it is a distinctive outdoor heater. Featuring a stainless steel cooking grill, the Savannah lets you create BBQ style food on the adjustable and removable grill – perfect for alfresco dining and entertaining guests.
- Bigfire Ltd – Morsø grill ’71 – hailed as one of the best grills available, the enamelled cast iron grate swings into place when you’re ready to cook, and can be positioned at four different heights.
9) THE TOP FIVE GARDEN GADGETS FOR 2016
- Darlac – Tri-Blade Shears – the only shear with 3 blades! The two outer blades of these high spec shears are Teflon coated, which helps to reduce friction, and increases rust resistance. The central blade is chrome armoured, rust resistant, and creates additional stability.
- Draper Tools – 3 Pattern Spray Ball – it may be a hose attachment, but not as you know it! This sphere is made from high impact-resistant polymer, and has an adjustable nozzle that delivers three types of spray pattern; mist, jet and cone. Perfect for hand watering and spot sprinkler watering.
- Green Digit – SeedCell – a new concept in Grow-Your-Own. Put simply, it’s packaging you plant! SeedCell offers a fun, clever, and waste-free way to plant seeds, making them the perfect tool to get children interested in growing their own food. Just snap the cells out and push them into some dirt. The unique pointed triangle cell acts as a seed delivery system, removing the need for tools.
- Spear & Jackson – Dual Compound Loppers – the dual compound action creates an amplified cutting force, making light work of even the biggest branches.
- Handiworld – HandiMoova – designed and developed in the UK, the HandiMoova uses innovative and patented technology to help people shift loads of up to 60kg across all terrains. It’s foldable, easy to store and lightweight at just 5kg. Expect to see a lot of these at future music festivals!
10) THE TOP FIVE AUTUMN ENTERTAINMENT PRODUCTS FOR 2016
- Uuni – Uuni 2 wood fire pizza oven – the Uuni 2, a super-slick outdoor oven that can reach temperatures of 450°C and can cook amazing pizzas in under two minutes. The size of a carry-on suitcase, Uuni runs on fire and sustainable, low-cost wood-pellets, creating food with a delicious flavour. Uuni is not just for pizza either and is great for meat, roast veggies, fish, desserts and more.
- Brundle Gardener – Dragon Fireball – there are firepits, and then there is the Dragon Fireball. Handmade from steel by leading British Designer in Metal, Elizabeth Fielden, the sphere firepit features a fire breathing dragon. The fire and smoke that appears when the fire pit is lit creates the impression that the dragons flying around, almost as if it has come to life.
- Gardenigloo GmbH – Garden Igloo – anyone alive in the 1980s will want one of these as it looks more like the Crystal Maze than the Crystal Maze does. Aside from evoking 80s revival themes, the Garden Igloo is perfect as an alternative to the traditional greenhouse for overwintering plants, as well as a fantastic children’s playroom or even a place to relax and watch the world go by.
- Gera Heating – Contemporary Chimeneas – the collection of sleek chimeneas from Belgium’s outdoor heating experts is ideal for gardens of all shapes and sizes. Offering clean lines, and excellent heat output these chimeneas are a must for keep you warm this autumn.
- Think Outside – Bob Cast Iron Fire Pit – part of Think Outside’s ‘Bob’ collection, this fire pit maintains the reclamation look that the company has so successfully launched to the mainstream. A simple rustic fire bowl design, the Bob Fire Pit has a hint of ‘Game of Thrones’ about it – perfect for roasting marshmallows, or your enemies!